I thought it would be nice to gather all the great tips you shared in one post, so that the next time I'm in a reading slump, I can look them up quickly. And of course the tips are for all readers who also are in a reading slump and are looking for ways to get out of it.
- Take a break from reading, don't read books for a few days (or even weeks). Spend your time instead with other activities you love. Or try out new activities.
- Take a break from reading in general, also limit the time you spend online and behind our computer. Reading on the pc, checking facebook, twitter, blogs, etc. is reading!
- Reread some of your favourite books.
- Read some shorter books.
- Mix the genres/books you are reading.
- Read a book that is outside of your normal comfort zone. Be courageous and try out a new genre.
- Watch a series or other things on TV.
- Try out another form of books, for example listen to an audiobook
- Ask other readers for book recommendations and give their choices a try.
- Read samples of new to you books, maybe one of the samples will make you excited to give the book a try.
- Buy some new books from your wish list and give them a try.
- See the reading slump as a challenge!
- Don't give up your hope that the next book will be great. Stay excited about reading and think positive.
I have already tried some of the tips, but not all. I already started with limiting the time I spend behind the computer yesterday and I already feel better because of it, so yeah! Maybe this will help me to calm down my mind and make it more receptive for new books.